Want to Study for Free in Europe? Yes, the best universities in Greece provide hundreds of international scholarships for short courses, undergraduate, masters, and doctoral degree programs. These sponsored and fully funded scholarships in Greece are available to students from all around the world who want to have a great future. This article will provide a detailed explanation of the top 10 scholarships available in Greece in 2023–2024.
Discover the world of foreign scholarships in Greece, which give students the chance to continue higher education in a setting that is both culturally and academically lively. Find out about the requirements, the application procedure, and the best scholarships available.
Greece, the hometown of Plato, Aristotle, and Socrates, is the origin of modern philosophies, literature, ethnicity, language, and sociocultural frameworks. Greece is home to some of the world’s top universities, as well as stunning scenery and delectable cuisine, making it possible to enroll at a place where your dreams can come true.
Academic scholarships are a great method to lessen this load so you may focus exclusively on your studies without worrying about financial assistance. Funding your education in Greece on your own can be difficult, though.
Students from Greece and other countries can qualify for a variety of extraordinarily generous scholarships there. As a result, we’ve put together a list of the best famous local and international Greece scholarships that are open to students from across the world in Greece.
The eligibility criteria for scholarships in Greece can vary depending on the specific scholarship you’re applying for. However, there are some common factors that many scholarships consider:
- Academic Excellence: Most scholarships require a strong academic record, usually demonstrated through transcripts and GPA scores.
- Field of Study: Some scholarships are specific to certain fields of study, while others are open to a wide range of disciplines.
- Nationality: Some scholarships are exclusively for international students, while others might be open to specific nationalities.
- Language Proficiency: Proficiency in English or Greek might be required, depending on the language of instruction. Language proficiency is often demonstrated through standardized tests like TOEFL or IELTS.
- Financial Need: Certain scholarships take into account the financial situation of the applicant.
- Age: Some scholarships might have age restrictions or preferences.
- Previous Degrees: Some scholarships are available only for specific levels of study, such as undergraduate, postgraduate, or doctoral degrees.
While the required documents can vary, here’s a general list of documents that are commonly requested during the application process for scholarships in Greece:
- Application Form: Complete the scholarship application form provided by the scholarship provider.
- Transcripts and Certificates: Official transcripts and certificates from your previous educational institutions.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume: A document detailing your academic and extracurricular achievements.
- Statement of Purpose: A written statement outlining your educational and career goals, as well as why you’re interested in the scholarship.
- Letters of Recommendation: Typically, two or more letters of recommendation from teachers, professors, or professionals who can vouch for your academic capabilities and character.
- Language Proficiency Scores: If required, include scores from language proficiency tests like TOEFL, IELTS, or others.
- Passport Copy: A copy of your valid passport for identification purposes.
- Passport-sized Photographs: Recent passport-sized photographs as specified by the scholarship provider.
- Proof of Nationality: This can include a copy of your national ID card or birth certificate.
- Financial Documents: If applicable, documents proving your financial need or capability to support yourself financially during your studies.
List of Public Universities in Greece
Here is a concise list of public universities in Greece:
- National and Kapodistrian University of Athens (NKUA)
- Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (AUTH)
- University of Patras
- University of Crete
- University of Ioannina
- University of Thessaly
- National Technical University of Athens (NTUA)
- University of Macedonia
- University of Piraeus
- Athens University of Economics and Business (AUEB)
- Democritus University of Thrace
- University of Western Macedonia
- University of Peloponnese
- University of the Aegean
- Harokopio University
- Panteion University
- Agricultural University of Athens
- Hellenic Open University
- Technological Educational Institute of Athens (TEI Athens)
- Technological Educational Institute of Central Macedonia (TEI Central Macedonia)
- Technological Educational Institute of Crete (TEI Crete)
- Technological Educational Institute of Eastern Macedonia and Thrace (TEI Eastern Macedonia and Thrace)
- Technological Educational Institute of Epirus (TEI Epirus)
- Technological Educational Institute of Ionian Islands (TEI Ionian Islands)
- Technological Educational Institute of Peloponnese (TEI Peloponnese)
These public universities offer a wide range of academic programs and contribute to Greece’s academic and research landscape.
- Also See:-
- Types of Malta Work Visa 2023 | How to Apply Malta Work Permit ?
- Irish Government Work Visa | How To Apply for Ireland Work Visa and Permit?
List of Top Funded Scholarship in Greece
Greece offers a range of scholarship opportunities for international students to pursue higher education in the country. These scholarships are often provided by the Greek government, universities, and other organizations. Here are some notable options:
- Greek Government Scholarships: The Greek Ministry of Education and Religious Affairs offers scholarships to foreign nationals for undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate studies in Greece. These scholarships typically cover tuition fees, accommodation, and provide a monthly stipend.
- Erasmus+ Scholarships: Greece is part of the Erasmus+ program, which provides funding for students to study abroad within the European Union. This program supports both incoming and outgoing students, enabling them to experience international education.
- IKY Scholarships: The State Scholarships Foundation (IKY) in Greece offers scholarships to international students for undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral studies. These scholarships cover tuition fees and may also include a monthly allowance.
- University Scholarships: Many universities in Greece offer scholarships to attract international students. These scholarships can cover various expenses, including tuition, accommodation, and living costs. Each university may have its own specific eligibility criteria and application process.
- Embassy Scholarships: Some foreign embassies in Greece may provide scholarships to citizens of their respective countries who wish to study in Greece. It’s worth checking with your country’s embassy in Greece for potential scholarship opportunities.
- Private Foundations and Organizations: There are various private foundations and organizations in Greece that offer scholarships to international students based on academic merit, field of study, and other criteria. Examples include the Onassis Foundation and the Alexander S. Onassis Public Benefit Foundation.
- Research Grants: For those interested in research, Greece offers opportunities for international researchers and scholars to apply for grants and fellowships through institutions like the National Documentation Centre (EKT) and the Hellenic Foundation for Research and Innovation (ELIDEK).
|Scholarship Name||Application Deadline||Application Link||Stipend Amount|
|Hellenic Scholarship Foundation||Varies||Apply Here||Varies based on the program|
|Onassis Foundation Scholarships||Varies||Apply Here||Generous financial support|
|Greek Government Scholarships||Varies||Apply Here||Varies based on the program|
|A.G. Leventis Foundation Scholarships||Varies||Apply Here||Covers tuition and living expenses|
- Research: Identify the scholarships that align with your field of study, nationality, and eligibility criteria. Research the scholarship provider’s website for specific information.
- Gather Documents: Collect all the required documents mentioned above. Make sure they are accurate and up-to-date.
- Complete Application: Fill out the scholarship application form according to the provided guidelines. Be thorough and accurate in your responses.
- Write Statement of Purpose: Craft a compelling statement of purpose that highlights your academic and career aspirations and demonstrates your suitability for the scholarship.
- Obtain Recommendations: Request letters of recommendation from appropriate individuals and provide them with all necessary information and guidelines.
- Notification of Results: After the selection process, the scholarship provider will notify you of the results. If you’re selected, you will receive an acceptance letter or email outlining the terms of the scholarship.
- Acceptance and Further Steps: Upon receiving an acceptance, carefully read and understand the terms and conditions of the scholarship. Follow the instructions provided to confirm your acceptance and proceed with the next steps.
- Visa and Travel Arrangements: If you’re an international student, you might need to apply for a student visa to study in Greece. Check the Greek consulate or embassy in your home country for visa requirements and start the application process early.
- Pre-Departure Preparation: Plan your travel arrangements, accommodation, and other logistical details. Make sure you have all the necessary documents for your journey, including your scholarship acceptance letter.
- Arrival in Greece: Upon arriving in Greece, follow the instructions provided by your scholarship provider and university. Attend orientations and familiarize yourself with campus facilities and services.
- Commence Studies: Once settled, begin your studies with enthusiasm and dedication. Take advantage of the academic opportunities and the vibrant cultural experiences that Greece has to offer.
- Also See:-
- Taiwan NSTC International Internship Pilot Program 2023 | NSTC International Interns Program 2023 Apply Online
- Study in Malta Universities Without IELTS | Reason to Apply for Malta Student Visa
Tips for a Successful Scholarship Application:
- Start Early: Begin your scholarship search and application process well in advance to avoid last-minute rush.
- Tailor Your Application: Customize your application, especially your statement of purpose, to showcase how the scholarship aligns with your goals and aspirations.
- Highlight Achievements: Emphasize your academic achievements, extracurricular activities, and any leadership roles you’ve undertaken.
- Be Authentic: Be genuine in your application. Reflect your true self, passions, and motivations.
- Strong Letters of Recommendation: Choose recommenders who know you well and can provide specific examples of your abilities and character.
- Meet Deadlines: Ensure that you submit your application and all required documents before the deadline. Late applications are usually not accepted.
- Proofread: Thoroughly proofread your application materials to eliminate errors and ensure clarity.
- Follow Instructions: Adhere to the guidelines provided by the scholarship provider. Failure to follow instructions might lead to disqualification.
- Prepare for Interviews: If an interview is part of the process, prepare answers to common questions and practice articulating your goals.
- Stay Positive: Scholarship application processes can be competitive, so don’t get discouraged by setbacks. Keep a positive attitude and continue exploring other opportunities.
How can these scholarships benefit my academic and career goals?
These scholarships not only provide financial support but also offer opportunities for cultural exchange, networking, and personal growth. By studying in Greece and connecting with experts in various fields, you can gain valuable insights and experiences that will contribute to your academic and professional journey.
What fields of study do these scholarships cover?
The scholarships mentioned in this article cover a wide array of disciplines, including but not limited to arts, sciences, engineering, humanities, law, and agriculture. It’s recommended to check the specific disciplines supported by each scholarship program.
Can I work part-time while studying under these scholarships?
Yes, many scholarships allow students to work part-time during their studies to supplement their income.
How can I make my scholarship application stand out?
Craft a compelling statement of purpose that showcases your passion for your chosen field of study and your alignment with the scholarship’s goals.